Archives: May 2009
At 6:00 PM, Surf Lodge will welcome Stephen Marley to their 2009 Concert Series. Stephen, son of the late Bob Marley, is currently on tour in support of his debut, Grammy-award winning solo album, Mind Control.
Then at 9:00 PM, Surf Lodge continues their Ourdoor Surf Cinema with "A Fly In The Champagne."
Produced by Irons Brothers Productions and Sal Masakela,the movie follows longtime rivals, Kelly Slater and Andy Irons, as they head to the remote Mentawai Island of Kandui where, in addition to surfing epic waves, these influential surfers purge feelings, dispel rumors, and try to bury the hatchet once and for all.
For more information on The Surf Lodge's 2009 Concert Series and Outdoor Surf Cinema, visit them online at thesurflodge.com.
See you on the deck!
- Is there a turf war brewing in the Hamptons? According to Page Six, the latest glossy on the block, Hamptonite, is accusing Social Life Magazine of trashing their debut issue...literally. [Page Six]
- Hamptons.com has the latest dish from The National Television Academy of Arts & Sciences. They just served up 20-plus Emmy nods to a gaggle of A-listers who call the Hamptons home. [Hamptons.com]
- In club news, The Harbor Club is moving locations over to Georgica. No, wait, they are definitely not moving to Georgica. Hold up, this just in, yes - yes they are moving to Georgica! Confused? So were we. Thankfully Guest of a Guest was on the case and has the final scoop. Hope you all found your way last night! [GofG]
- Curbed Hamptons is keeping a watchful eye on developments over at The Blue Parrot in East Hampton. Their spies saw people mingling, music playing and the familiar aroma of Mexican wafting out of the kitchen. But alas, the anxious public was still being turned away. Since curiosity gets the beter us everytime, we reached out to one of our sources for a little info. We've been told The Blue Parrot has held two "soft launches" for "very select friends, partners and family." We're also told one of those guests just may have been Alec Baldwin. So Curbed, you weren't far off at all with your menu tasting theory! [Curbed Hamptons]
- And finally, hell hath no fury like a heckler scorned. The Post's Selim Algar reports that filmmaker John McCluskey, who made headlines last weekend after confronting and allegedly threatening former Mayor Giuliani and his wife Judith on the street in Bridgehampton, is vowing to take his tiff with the power couple all the way to court. After his arraignment, and a court order to steer clear of the Giuliani's, McCluskey told the Post, "I'm not going to let him get away with this...It's about time someone stands up to this guy." [NY Post]
Good thinking, Mr. McCluskey. Let us know how that works out for you.
Photo: Lisa Wagner/SplashNews.com
Redfoo (above) and Sky Blu, the electro-hip hop duo known as LMFAO, brought their pimped out brand of "Party Rock" to AXE Lounge Sunday night -- marking the finale of a three day Memorial Day Weekend blowout at the newly branded Southampton hotspot. Much to the delight of the packed room of east end revelers, LMFAO performed their much hyped single, "I'm In Miami Bitch," by changing the lyrics to the more apropos "I"m In The Hamptons Bitch."
I somehow managed to get front row center to try and get some video footage of their performance. OK, so I held on to the camera guy from News12 and let him and security clear a path through the AXE sea. Either way, I got there. Unfortunately, the "performance" part got the crowd going so much, I was getting clocked in the head by $2K bottles that were being raised in the air and waived like they just didn't care. So, most of the video looks like it was shot by a an epileptic playing dodge ball. I'll spare you that bit of cinematic genius and instead give you...a taste of LMFAO.
Photo: Rob Rich for Niche Media
True Blood star Anna Paquin celebrated her new Hamptons Magazine cover at a Memorial Day Weekend fete in her honor at Day & Night Restaurant & Beach Club at the Pink Elephant on Sunday.
The Southampton celebrity hotspot formerly known as Dune re-opened this Memorial Day Weekend at 1181 North Sea Rd.
AXE (yes, as in the men's body spray) has teamed up with Mike Heller of Talent Resources and Matt Shendell, owner of Paige Management Group (Dune,The Hill & Orchard ), along with nightclub impresarios Noah Tepperberg and Jason Strauss of Marquee, to transform the summer staple Dune into the AXE Lounge.
Photo: Lisa Wagner/Blog Hamptons
Over the three day, non-stop-party weekend at AXE Lounge, we spotted NY Knick Al Harrington and his wife at Mike Heller's table on Sunday night, as well as Paul Sevigny, Sean Avery, super model Cheyenne, Aaron Reid, DJ Berrie, Mark Packer, Sasha from American Idol, Georgica's Matt Levine, Stratis, Andrew Levitas, and Ashley Bush.
We'll be posting some more pics from our weekend at AXE Lounge a little later tonight, as well as video from LMFAO's performance there on Sunday night. (Those guys were as crazy as they were cool -- they were "In The Hamptons Bitch!")
Photo: Lisa Wagner/BlogHamptons.com/SplashNews.com
Jill Zarin, of Bravo's The Real Housewives of New York City, enjoyed a holiday celebration at the home of Jason & Haley Binn this past Saturday at the power couple's annual Memorial Day Weekend soiree. Jill, sporting a new and improved physique - which she credits to breast reduction surgery and "living well" - was accompanied by her husband and RHoNYC regular, Bobby Zarin, his son Jonathan Zarin (who Jill tells us may be joining the cast for Season 3!), and her lovely daughter, Ally.
After a couple of hours of schmoozing, posing, and some front-yard interviews, Jill was ready to call it a night. With a few bellows across the lawn in search of “Aaaaaaaally,” Jill was able to wrangle up the entire Zarin clan and skillfully tip-toe her patent leather Louboutin's down the Binn's pebbled driveway. At the foot of the driveway was a reception table, where guest check-in had been replaced with copies of Hamptons Magazine and an interesting choice of parting gift -- Go Green Doggy Duty Bags -- the latest way to curb your dog and still be environmentally friendly. Most guests looked curiously at the small square boxes, some reading them more than once, until they fully understood they were in fact a biodegradable dog poop bags, before politely placing them back on the table. But not Jill. This proud Mom, of one pampered Chihuahua named Ginger, just about squealed with delight.
“Oh my God, I have to have these for Ginger...look Bobby, BOBBY, they're green, eco-friendly, I have to have these,” she proudly announced to everyone within earshot. “Hey, ya gotta scoop the poop!” And with that, Jill opened her oversized designer bag, swept her arm across the table, and packed away at least a half dozen boxes of "Doggy Duty Bags" before making her way to the car.
So, now environmentalists the world over can rest easy knowing that the next 100 or so number two's produced by Ginger Zarin, should have zero impact on our planet. And we can add one more item to our ever growing list of "Why We Love Jill Zarin."
She's nothing if not authentic!
Debra Halpert, Susan Lucci, Christie Brinkley and Jason Binn
Photo: Lisa Wagner/ Blog Hamptons/SplashNews.com
More photos after the jump!
Photo: Lisa Wagner/BlogHamptons.com/SplashNews.com
On Thursday night, Hamptons and Gotham Magazine held their summer kick-off party at the Hudson Terrace in NYC. The location was perfectly fitting for a party held during Fleet Week, as it overlooked the majestic Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum and the host of Naval ships in town for the festivities.
The guests of honor for the evening were also perfectly fitting; the cast of USA Network's new series, Royal Pains. For Hamptons Magazine, the tie-in was perfect. The show centers around Dr. Hank Lawson (played by Mark Feuerstein - “What Women Want,” “In Her Shoes,” “Good Morning, Miami”), an ER Doctor who finds himself fired by his hospital and blacklisted by the New York medical establishment after a principled judgment call he makes in the ER doesn't bode well with hospital administrators. Down on his luck, and with everything he's worked for gone, Hank decides to take his brother up on a weekend getaway in the Hamptons. It's a decision that proves to be the catalyst for a promising new career -- Concierge Doctor to the Hamptons elite.
The marketing and promotion that has been behind this show has been nothing short of genius. From the Royal Pains wrapped Taxi Vans in the Hamptons, to the cross-branding and online promotions, USA Network is putting it's undivided attention into this project. At the Hamptons & Gotham Magazine bash at Hudson Terrace, which was sponsored by Jose Cuervo Platino, the marketing masters even whipped up custom bottle boxes of Platino, one for each character on the show, with Hamptons Magazine's logo perfectly co-branded along top.
Hamptons Mag, the cast of a sexy new show, and a little Silver Tequila...yeah, it was a great night of mixing and mingling and another top-notch party from the folks at Niche Media.
Summer has officially begun!
Mark Feuerstein, star of USA Network's new series Royal Pains, was joined by his mom, Audrey Feuerstein, at the Hamptons & Gotham Magazine Summer Kick-Off Party at the Hudson Terrace in NYC.
Photo: Lisa Wagner/BlogHamptons.com/SplashNews.com
Star of USA Network's new series Royal Pains, Paulo Costanzo has fun with the paparazzi at Hamptons & Gotham Magazine's Summer Kick-Off Party at the Hudson Terrace in NYC.
Photo: Lisa Wagner/BlogHamptons.com/SplashNews.com
Additional Photos: Reshma Shetty, Jill Flint, Paulo Costanzo, Mark Feuerstein
*Please disable pop-up blocker
But the good news is, we weren't slacking off and working the BBQ all weekend. We were out covering some of the hottest events in NYC and the Hamptons -- all for you of course. Because, ya know, we're selfless like that.
So here's what we've been up to. Let's pick up where we left off...
On Wednesday when we paid a visit to the Brooklyn set of USA Networks new show, Royal Pains. We had a chance to sit down with the cast and crew for a little Q&A and look forward to bringing you our behind scenes recap. On Thursday we hit up Hudson Terrace in NYC for Hamptons & Gotham Magazine's Summer Kick-Off Party, where the cast of Royal Pains just so happened to the special guests for the evening. On Friday, we were back in the Hamptons and catching Alec Baldwin host the Hamptons International Film Festival's presentation of The Cove at Guild Hall. On Saturday, Jason and Haley Binn welcomed guests like Christie Brinkley, Alexa Ray Joel and Susan Lucci to their home for their annual Memorial Day Weekend Bash. We tirelessly took tons of pics, some of which you've probably already seen over at nypost.com, but fear not, we saved plenty just for you! Saturday also brought us to Guild Hall for Liza Minnelli and Axe Lounge for a preview of what they have in store for everyone this summer. Sunday brought us to yet another Hamptons Magazine bash, this time at Day and Night at Pink Elephant with cover star Anna Paquin. With a dozen or so stops in-between, we capped off a week of insanity back at Axe Lounge where LMFAO performed to packed house.
So stay tuned, because we have all of that and more coming up shortly.
We hope you all had an amazing, fun-filled weekend. Be sure to let us know how you spent your Memorial Day Weekend in comments!
Lisa Wagner/Blog Hamptons/Splash News & Pictures
After the announcement that Owner/Operator, Michael Satsky, was closing his celebrity obsessed nightlife staple Stereo back in '08, many wondered if his East Hampton offering, Lily Pond, would be returning for a second season at 44 Three Mile Harbor Road. Well, not only is Satsky bringing back Lily Pond, he's trumping himself by bringing it back even bigger & better than before. Lily Pond will ring in Summer 2009 with over 7,000 square-feet of nightclub decadence -- every inch designed with the “sophisticated partygoer” in mind.
- The Scene: If you get past the velvet ropes, expect huge, elegant banquettes and sofas dominating the more than 4,000 square-foot interior. The barrel vaulted ceilings and chandeliers lend an added touch of grandeur to the expansive but intimately arranged space. This year, the pièce de résistance is the addition of 3,000 square-feet of outdoor space. Even the most discerning guests will revel in the exclusivity and uninterrupted relaxation of Lily Pond's new temperature controlled cabanas. Our free tips would be; Dress to impress, expect A-List guests, and learn to live with a few minutes of idle time in the parking lot. There's no doubt you'll find yourself behind a Bentley and a Maybach in line at the valet station. It's safe to say the clientele at this East Hampton hot spot haven't received the recession memo.
- The Music: A mélange of international House, Rock and 80's music. Last season also saw a few guest DJ's, including Samantha Ronson.
- The Scoop: Opens Memorial Day Weekend on Saturday, May 23rd - Doors open at 10 PM. For this holiday weekend, they will also open on Sunday, May 24th. Open every Saturday through Labor Day Weekend. Exceptions: On Fourth of July Weekend, Lily Pond will be open Friday the 3rd and Saturday the 4th -- closed Sunday the 5th.
- The Flashback: Celebrity regulars in 2008 included Lindsay Lohan, Diddy, Paris & Nicky Hilton, Estelle, Russell Simmons, Lauren Conrad, and Whitney Port.
I successfully avoided the subject last year, but now that they've recast the Montauk Monster for a sequel, it looks like I'm just going to have to deal with the fact that 'it' is here to stay. At least until T-shirt and photo sales start to flatline. For those who haven't seen the video, here's a clip of the latest beast to wash up on the news. And in case you're wondering, yes, this one was also scooped off the beach and stored in a cooler at someone's home. You can get all of the juicy details on this latest monster, which was found in Southold, along with a "biological warfare" theory or two over at montauk-monster.com.
Now, regarding said 'monster,' I feel the need to add a quick, personal side note. I'd like to make a plea to all of the 'raccoon theorists' out there to please stop calling it a raccoon. I'm as skeptical as the next person, but seriously...a raccoon? Where in the world do you live that your first inclination, upon seeing a gigantic, bald, turtle-headed beast, is to call it a raccoon? Unless your answer is "a suburb of Chernobyl," please stop talking - or call it anything else. Literally, anything else. Call it a big fat hoax or a crossbred sea cow -- hell, call it a mutated pig with Swine Flu and abandonment issues, but for the love of God, please stop calling it a raccoon.
- The Scene: Surf theme, two bars, banquettes large enough to hold your group, outdoor patio space with fire pits and wood benches, and plenty of lawn to party on. Think Hamptons beach chic.
- The Music: Harley Viera Newton, Nick Cohen, DJ Vibe and DJ Bernie
- The Scoop: Opens Friday, May 22nd at 10:30 p.m. Closed Saturday. Open Sunday from 3 p.m. to 9 p.m. with Live Music - DJ's spinnin' from 11 p.m. to 4 a.m.
Guild Hall's Grand Re-Opening festivities officially kick off Friday evening, May 22nd, with Alec Baldwin hosting the inauguration of the first-ever Guild Hall Summer Series of Films for the Hamptons International Film Festival.
Hamptons International Film Festival will be presenting a special screening of "The Cove" - winner of the Audience Award at this year’s Sundance Film Festival. The film, from Director Louis Psihoyos, was made using state-of-the-art technology and follows a high-tech dive team on a mission to Japan to uncover the truth about international dolphin capture.
In a rave review in Variety, Justin Chang said of The Cove, “Documentaries don’t get much more compelling.” - and we have to agree. It's an intense and astounding film. If you get the chance, come down to Guild Hall on Friday and check it out - just don't wait until last minute for tickets - they're going fast. Tickets are only $20 ($18 for Guild Hall members) and are available at guildhall.org.
This special screening will also highlight the John Drew Theater's new digital state-of-the art, Hi-Definition 14,000 Lumens and Blu Ray Projector with Dolby Digital surround sound processed though over 20 EAW speakers. See you there...and on the 23rd for Liza!
Liza Minnelli Kicks Off Memorial Day Weekend at Guild Hall
The critically acclaimed feature film follows legendary designer Valentino Garavani and his longtime partner, Giancarlo Giammetti, in a behind-the-scenes look into their world of Haute Couture and the designer's extraordinary life and work. It's a voyeuristic, fly-on-the-wall journey through Valentino's graceful exit from the company he founded more than 45 years ago. From the exploration of the challenges facing the fashion industry today to the unique relationship he shares with Giancarlo, his business partner and companion for 50 years, 'Valentino: The Last Emperor' has rightfully earned it's abundance of accolades.
'Valentino: The Last Emperor' opens at UA East Hampton 6 this Friday, May 15th.
- So..."Who Owns Madame Tong's?" Good question! Dan Rattiner dishes on the ongoing Jean Luc saga and his latest "dustup" with police. [Dan's Papers]
- Fashionista and socialite Cathy di Montezemolo dies at 83. [27east]
- Will Billy Joel help raise money for Montauk? He just might if Memory Motel owner, Arthur Schneider, gets the OK for a summer concert series. [East Hampton Star]
- Diane Roncone sat down with funky fashion maven Betsy Johnson in her East Hampton home, where the ladies chatted up everything from BlackBerry's to Breast Cancer. [Hamptons.com]
- Will Fishbar on the Lake be this summer's new hot spot? Time and crowds will tell, but by pulling their fish straight off the boats and offering bottomless mimosas and “make your own Bloody Mary’s,” they're sure off to a great start! [Plum]